Thursday, January 6, 2011


Today I headed down to LA for an appointment. We left bright and early as we did not know what the weather held for us over the grapevine. There was still plenty of snow from Sundays storm but the sun was rising over the mountains and it was beautiful

Driving in sunny LA with camera in hand. I was trying to catch the palm trees in my window but was difficult.

My appointment was at the Pink Lotus Breast Center. I have had many issues with lumps in my breast with a lumpectomy 10 years ago. I learned long ago that I had to have my care outside of Bakersfield as its never a simple follow up. I had previously been followed at UCLA Revlon breast care center but last year transferred to Dr. K. Funk at Pink Lotus. Love it there and received a great report from my testing today. So that made my day.

From there we headed for an early lunch. Richard is a big fan of Diners Drive ins and Dives and so I picked a spot in downtown LA that is featured on the show and in his book, The Nickel Diner.

I loved the feeling of the place, but unfortunately it has a homeless shelter next door so taking pictures is a challenge.

The front window is cute but very hard to photograph (keeping the homeless out of the shot)

I did not have the maple bacon donut, despite everyones recommendations, its the new year and I am trying to be good. Richie had the BLT below. He said it was yummy.

I had the veggie sandwich with zucchini, eggplant, roasted tomatoes, peppers, onions, mozzarella and pesto. With salad of course. It was soooooooo good.

We took dessert home (not for me) Richard brought home a red velvet donut and I got my sister Lisa a gourmet ding dong!!!

Right above the door as you leave there is this cute saying below.

And one last shot of the front window.
We left sunny downtown LA at 11:30 am and headed to Valencia to stop at home goods for a little retail therapy then headed home. But Alas there was a huge huge wreck on the grapevine and we were stuck at a dead stand still for over an hour. Right next to us was this little beauty. By this time is was 3 pm.
I really contemplated getting out and walking up to the bud light truck and asking the driver for a beer for richie, I was even willing to show him my cancer free ta ta's in exchange. I was desperate, stuck in a car with no cell service with Richie!!!! but alas it started moving and home we arrived. Long day but fun. Now off to dinner with my family, Grandpa won at the casino today so he's buying!!!!!!!


Lesa Payne said...

Very cool diner find; that food looked yummy!

I laughed out loud when I read that part about showing your ta ta's to the Bud Light guy...only you!!! Glad you're cancer free!!

Catherine said...

Hope all is well with you and your ta ta's sweet friend.
Loved the photos in your post, you have become a wonderful photographer. Maybe someday for me.